I think most people would agree we all look for ways to improve fuel economy, especially when you are driving a large motorhome or towing a heavy trailer.
Here are my 7 easy ways to improve RV fuel economy
1) Check and replace your air filter if it’s dirty. A clean air filter can improve your fuel economy up to 10%.
2) Check and adjust your tire pressure to the proper pressure for the load. This alone can increase fuel economy by 3%, not to mention preventing premature tire wear and failures caused by over or under-inflated tires. Tires can look normal when they are seriously under-inflated. Use a quality air pressure gauge and check your tires when they are cold, before traveling more than one mile.
3) For every 5 mph you travel over 60mph is equivalent to paying ten cents more per gallon at the pump. If you are traveling down the Interstate at 70 mph add twenty cents to the price at the pump! Speeding and rapid acceleration reduces fuel economy anywhere from 5 to 33% depending on your individual driving habits.
4) Keep your vehicles tuned up and in top running condition. A poorly tuned engine can lower fuel economy by 10 to 20%. Poor emissions and/or a faulty oxygen sensor can cause up to 40% reduction in fuel economy.
5) Following recommended service and maintenance schedules/intervals will save a significant amount of fuel.
6) Using synthetic oils can increase fuel economy by 2%.
7) Adding weight that you don’t need reduces fuel economy significantly. A friend once told me, if you haven’t used it in the last 12 months you don’t need it!
See, it really is easy to improve our fuel economy. Try following these 7 easy steps to improve your fuel economy. You and your wallet will be glad you did.
Our Checklists for RVers e-book offers helpful tips and checklists on almost every RV topic imaginable.
Happy RV Learning,
RV Education 101
RV 101® Travel Trailer Ultimate Video & E-book Bundle
RV 101® 5th Wheel Ultimate Video & E-book Bundle
RV 101® Motorhome Ultimate Video & E-book Bundle
Travel Trailer & 5th Wheel Trailer RV Orientation Video Training Course
Tow Your Travel Trailer Like a Pro Video Training Course
Tow Your 5th Wheel Like a Pro Complete Online Video Training Course
Motorhome RV Orientation Video Training Course
Drive Your Motorhome Like A Pro Complete Online Video Training Course
RV Care & Preventive Maintenance RV DIY® Online Video Training
RV Essential Items Video Training Course
Winterizing and Storing Your RV Video Training Course
Travel Trailer 4 Video Bargain Set Plus Free RV Checklist ebook
5th Wheel 4 Video Bargain Set Plus Free RV Checklist ebook
Motorhome 4 Video Bargain Set Plus Free RV Checklist ebook
A Collection of RV Education 101 E-Books – 9 RV E-BOOK BUNDLE SET
An Introduction to RVs E-book Training Course
Insider’s Guide to Buying an RV E-Book Training Course
Owning & Operating an RV E-Book Training Course
The Original Checklists for RVers E-Book Training Course
RV Campground Basics E-Book Training Course
RV Safety Features, Tips & Tricks E-book Training Course
RV Care & Maintenance E-Book Training Course
Winterizing & Storing Your RV E-Book Training Course
RV Battery Care & Maintenance E-Book Training Course
Trailer Towing Basics E-Book Training Course